(Left side of B/W pic) A four-oared barge with coxswain and single Ruston-type canoe pose in front of the old club house. The firwood and shed at the right of the house are part of John A. Worthley’s coal and wood yard.
(Right side of B/W pic) When the new Monmouth Boat Club was built in the summer of 1895, the lagoon in front of the old club was bulkheaded and filled, piling was driven and the new 25x50 foot building constructed on it. The old building was then moved 35 feet closer to the river and attached to the back of the new and ground floor was opened through. All of the work cost ‘nearly $4000. This is considerably more than it was intended at the first expend…’ commented the Red Bank Register. The new building was built by Charter Member Archibald Antonides.
Founded in 1879, Monmouth Boat Club is located in Red Bank, New Jersey, near the head of the beautiful Navesink River. It is an informal and friendly organization whose members are drawn together by a love of sailing and rowing and an appreciation of the charm of our idyllic river. The Club is run and maintained entirely by its members, resulting in a close spirit of cooperation and camaraderie.
MBC was originally founded as a rowing club at the time when paddle wheel steamboats and packet sailing ships maintained an active trade between Red Bank and New York City, and commercial fishing and the oyster industry flourished on the Navesink. Though much has changed along the waterfront over the years, Monmouth Boat Club has remained a constant force promoting recreation on the river. Sailing has been the major focus of the Club since Word War I. Currently, there are five active one-design classes, an enthusiastic cruising fleet and a variety of small craft used for day-sailing and gunk-holing. The one-design classes include Lightnings, Albacores, Flying Scots, Wood Pussys, and Sanderlings.
Fleets are formed based on the interests of the members. Throughout the history of the Club, many fleets have been represented. And now, MBC has come full circle – it once again includes rowers. In November 2000, a rowing fleet was formed.
THE CLUB HOUSE
The Club has been situated in the same historic clubhouse for more than 100 years. The house, with its three tiers of porches, provides an ideal spot for relaxing while viewing the activities on the river, socializing, or watching the sun set over the hills of the northwest shore of the river on a balmy summer evening. The house is surrounded by a boat yard where members’ boats of under twenty feet in length are stored on racks or trailers. The Club maintains three hoists for launching and has three two-hundred foot floating docks, including a low dock for rowers. Over fifty moorings for the cruising fleet are a short row from the docks.
Over the years, members of the Club have distinguished themselves in the sailing world at competition levels ranging from regional and national class championships in junior and senior levels to the Olympic. These include the Adam’s Cup, the O’Day Trophy, the USYRU Single-handed and Double handed Women’s Sailing Championships, the Martini & Rossi Trophy for Yachtswoman of the Year, and a Gold Medal at the Pan American Games.
DID YOU KNOW... for more than 100 years the Navesink has been the venue for winter entertainment and invention. In the first installment of visions down "frozen" memory lane, look back at chilly yet bustling activities with MBC in the center of it all.
Resources: MBC Archives and the book "Up and Down the River" by June Methot
ICEBOATING AND ITS LEGACY in New Jersey is under threat. See the video from USA Today:
Our thanks to MBC Member Ann Strang for sharing this article.